Sunday, June 8, 2014

In Hiding

Today I had the opportunity to share my views on raising the wage with a coworker, but I didn't. I sort of aluded to my stand but was too afraid to really open up about it. I also had the urge to ask him how he felt about feminism. But I didn't ask. Why? Partly because I respected him and was afraid it might be an inappropriate environment to bring it up in. And also because I was afraid he'd attack my views and look down on me for being a feminist. He would be wrong for thinking that but he is also very well-spoken and I'm not a very good debater in spontaneous circumstances. I have to take time to choose my words and analyze the argument. But I wish I could have at least been more forthright with my stance and at least call myself a feminist to his face. Whether or not he would have rolled his eyes shouldn't matter.  I did quickly slide in a "But we do need to raise the wage." And got no response, which I took as a sign of his disagreement. 
But being open about these things is something a lot of us need to work on, not just myself. Just because Iwasn't  in a liberal-safe environment doesnt mean I should keep my mouth shut. At that rate, I may as well hide my stance on LGBT rights, which I don't. And maybe I should hide the fact that I'm a woman. But I could and would never do that of course. 
I am a smart, feminist woman and that is respectable in every facet. The person that rolls their eyes or doesn't "believe" in feminism is ignorant or being intentionally hateful and neither of those things should frighten me or make me feel like the lesser person. It should empower me and  give me motivation to further the cause. And besides, maybe I should have given him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he would have given me a smile and a "right on". 
Eh-- I doubt it but like I said: it shouldn't matter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment